Welcome to the prayer page. We thank you for your interest in supporting the ministry of Christian Friends of Israel and would fully appreciate your prayer covering for all elements of the work of CFI, its trustees, staff, area representatives and volunteers.
A few years ago the Lord gave this prophecy for the work of CFI in the UK, which was tested out and prayed over by the trustees and staff, and is still as relevant to us all as ever:
God will provide the strategies – not just to cope
But to overcome and
IF we ask…..
As believers – we are in a battle as those who stand with Israel and for biblical truth. It’s important we know who we are and that we are overcomers in Christ alone and that he promises protection for us and provision for us in these areas and for this ministry.
If you would like to stand with Christian Friends of Israel, please use these prayer pointers as a guide, but if you would like to support further areas of the ministry or pray for the staff and the volunteer area reps, for instance, or begin a CFI prayer group, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all who have prayed for the Summer activities and events in which CFI were involved. The 'Fruit from Festivals' page presents some thoughts to follow on from some of those activities.
Please pray for:
- The preparation for our Biennial Representatives Conference on Friday 16th September, for travelling mercies and for an encouraging day of equipping our volunteer Area Reps.
- The 31st Annual Conference on Saturday 17th September, for the staff and trustees and volunteers working on that; also pray for all those who will attend the day and for the speakers, David Pawson and Werner Oder.
Fruit from Festivals
Thank you to all who pray for Christian Friends of Israel in general – our staff and trustees, area reps, church links and volunteers.
We really appreciate specific prayers too, as we look back on the Festivals Season this year and see answers to some of those specific prayers. But there are more areas that need to be covered.
Staff and area reps at New Wine and the CLAN Gathering in Scotland both reported that hostility and concerns over ministries supporting Israel was much less evident this year, throughout the UK. We had great conversations with enquirers, loyal supporters and even brief chances with those just wanting to know who we were and to read a leaflet on what we stand for.
Thank the Lord for that great answer to prayer!
And now please pray:
- For all who interacted with the staff and area reps who manned the stands this year. Ask the Lord to give them a greater hunger for truth about the biblical roots of the word of God and the Jewish people.
- That every piece of literature given away will be useful, that there will be fruit from every conversation that took place, and that each resource sold – book, DVD and CD – will be educational, challenging and a blessing to those that use them.
- For the many volunteers who staffed New Wine especially, who were so inquisitive to know more throughout the time we spent opposite the Flame café in the Market Place this time; including those who, like another 20 or more, signed-up to the CFI mailing via post or email.
- For the area reps who made great connections with loyal supporters and encouraged them to get more involved by becoming area reps or church links.
- That many will attend CFI’s annual conference in September to learn more about the ministry and to get more involved.
Julia Soakell Julia.email@example.com
Watchman's Prayer Letter
A Guide to Intercessory Prayer for the month of October 2016 ~ Jewish Year 5777
'I will stand upon my watch and set myself on the rampart, and watch to see what He will say to me, and what I will answer.' (Habakkuk 2:1)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Who Would Fight God?
“Rescue me, Lord, from evildoers; protect me from the violent, who devise evil plans in their hearts and stir up war every day” (Psalm 140:1-2).
Many times in today’s world media reports, we find little more than sensational negative exploitation, geared toward manipulating people’s impressions and concepts of a particular group and/or nation. In particular, living in Israel among the Jewish people as we have, as Christian friends of Israel, we see how negative reporting ends up pigeonholing and labelling the Jewish nation in a very harmful way. This small nation, built upon the promise of God, carries a powerful strength behind them, and those who hate them are in for a big surprise each time they scheme and plan to destroy the Jewish nation.
There are all kinds of ways that Israel’s enemies (who are God’s enemies also), through combined armed forces and like-minded Arab militia plots against Israel, are trying to bring about the destruction of the Jewish state. All of their methods will eventually fail, their methods of terrorism and attacks, and their ideas of conquering the Jewish nation and taking over the Temple Mount are ridiculous. Who would be so foolish and unwise as to think they can fight against the one true God?
With eyes blinded, hearts hardened and lives ablaze with passionate evil, they are on a full collision course with God! As we see this month, the plans of Israel’s enemies are numerous. It seems they cannot rest in their beds at night for planning new scenarios, boasting of more threats against her and lying to the world arena of nations about God’s land and people. Much prayer is required and the need for miracles is great. The harder the situation and the more impossible things appear, the greater will be the fulfilment of the promises of Almighty God in order for his great name to go throughout the earth, where every knee will bow to him.
Let’s Go to the Throne Room Together:
Iranian media reports that a combined force, backed by the Syrian army, “aims to put an end to the presence of armed men in the area close to the border … just two kilometres from Israel’s Golan border. Lebanese Shiite fighters, under the command of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) officers, are streaming into southern Syria, armed with tanks and artillery …” (virtualjerusalem.com, 7th September 2016).
- Pray that the large Hezbollah force gathering on the Golan border will not be used to open a second front against Israel. Hezbollah units are in southern Syria and face the Israeli border. Recent reports say that Hezbollah and Iranian troops have amassed in the town of Quneitra on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights, preparing to attack the Syrian rebels positioned nearby (jewishpress.com, 6th September 2016).
- Pray fervently that Israel makes the right decisions in considering the serious military action she may have to take in order to prevent evil men from reaching the border fence, in order to save innocent lives. May Israel’s commanders call upon the Lord. “Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live” (Psalm 116:2).
- Beseech the Lord for the “Gideon Doctrine” which Israel intends to quickly unleash against Hezbollah in order to deliver a crushing blow. Israel often takes its military moves from biblical history. Israel’s reluctance to carry out serious blows against the enemy has made hers the most moral army in the world. However, pray that Israel will be swift as an eagle when she must, to destroy any people of fierce countenance bent on killing ordinary civilians. “Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands give me delight.” (Psalm 119:143).
- Intercede for Jewish people who have faith in their hearts and a deep love for the God of Israel, to be able to worship him freely upon the Temple Mount. Recently a Jewish visitor to the Mount was accused of committing the crime of bowing to God (the God of Israel). He was arrested at once. Sadly, Jewish worship of the Jewish/Christian God of Israel is smothered by Islamic authorities and the Wakf on the Mount. “Redeem me from human oppression, that I may obey your precepts” (Psalm 119: 134).
- Thank God that Israel is a “Land of Miracles” because of his faithfulness. But also pray for a situation that has developed in the Sea of Galilee – one that will take a miracle to correct. A drought has caused the water level to drop so much that an island has appeared near the southern shore. Ynet News reported that the Kinneret Authority has said “everyone needs to pray for a rainy winter.”
Some here point out that the drying up of the Sea of Galilee was foretold millennia ago and could be connected with the coming of the Messiah. The prediction was based upon Isaiah 19:5 “And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up” (DARBY). Whether the forecast is true or not, Israel will need much water this winter. Let us pray for “heavy rains in due season” to fall in the right quantities and in abundance. “… then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and olive oil” (Deuteronomy 11:14).
Israel and the nations need the Lord. Repentance is needed in most places on the earth, and Israel is not an exception. The leadership, as well as the common people need to turn to the one true God for his ultimate blessing. Once we grasp the importance of sorrow and remorse for leaving the commandments and ways of God given in his word, the yoke of hatred and curses can be broken off. Without repentance, no nation will survive, nor can Israel accept her mantle.
One last thought: Praise the Lord that Israel’s Education Minister has stated, “the Bible is the most important school subject” (www.israeltoday.co.il, 14th September). This is a first step for a full return to God needed in this beloved nation.
Until he comes,
Christian Friends of Israel – Jerusalem
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
CFI-UK News and Prayer requests
Dear friends, thank you all for your prayers in support of our Annual Conference on Saturday 17th September. Somehow the Lord carried our small team through making all the final arrangements, and although there were some ‘hitches’ on the day, our gracious God made it a day of great blessing for many. More than 400 people came to hear messages delivered by David Pawson and Werner Oder that were relevant and powerful. Consequently, we have received feedback like: “What a great day!” “An excellent conference which we found encouraging, inspiring and really challenging.” “Life changing conference …. thanks to all of you.” So please spend a while giving the Lord all the thanks and praise that he deserves for this.
Thank you, too, for praying for the Area Representatives’ Conference on the preceding Friday. We had 14 Reps and Church Links join us in Eastbourne for the day, several of whom travelled from as far away as Scotland. David and Julia Soakell led the conference which included much useful exchange of information. Pray that it will be a lasting encouragement to all who attended.
Early this month we will prepare the next edition of our quarterly In Touch magazine. Do pray for guidance regarding the content, and clarity of writing.
Then please pray for Jacob and Robin as they attend the CFI Resources stall at CRE South East on 12th and 13th October in Maidstone (Stand P21). This is another good opportunity to speak with other Christians from various churches and encourage them to explore God’s ongoing covenant relationship with Israel and the Jewish people. Our desire is that this will strengthen their faith and prompt them to act in accordance with God’s full revelation as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of Israel and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Pray for good, lasting fruit from these conversations and guidance as to which literature and/or other resources will be most helpful to each person who visits the stall.
The next meeting of CFI’s Board is due to be held on Monday 17th October. Ask the Lord our God to guide Jacob and the Trustees through all the issues, and to discern his will for the ongoing role that CFI UK is to play in his kingdom here on earth.
Together in his service,
The CFI-UK Team
Start a prayer group
This is a great help to consistent and effective prayer.
Guidelines for Corporate Prayer
(Adapted from teaching given by Lance Lambert and Art Carlson)
- Be brief. In Matthew 6:7 Jesus says that the Gentiles suppose they will be heard for their many words. We haven't changed much!
- Speak clearly and loudly enough to be heard. As Paul said in another context, how can we say "Amen" if we don't know what is said.
- Pray from the heart, don't preach. Avoid sentimentality and unnatural speech. Sometimes you can tell what group people come from by listening to them pray, because they adopt a particular style. Be honest; talk to God the way you talk to your best friend.
- Keep on the theme. Pray through one subject before introducing another. Obviously, that doesn't mean we have to see the mountain moved into the sea before proceeding to the next subject, but we do need to give God time to speak concerning the subject in hand before moving on. When not praying aloud, quietly support the one who is. Don't let your mind wander.
- Don't take "pot-shots" at the devil. Jude verse 9 tells us that even the archangel Michael did not dare to condemn the devil for slander, but said, "The Lord rebuke you." Rather we are told to 'resist the devil' (James 4:7) and to: 'put on the full armour of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes' (Ephesians 6:11).
- Avoid personal pronouns. When speaking for the group say "We" rather than "I". Of course, if there is doubt about agreement on an issue, that should be settled before praying on behalf of all.
- Good repetition builds the case. Some teaching would indicate that once a thing is prayed for, it is unbelief to mention it again. There is need for balance in this. To keep pleading for something which God has made clear He wants to give us can be unbelief. On the other hand, true intercession is speaking into reality that which is as yet unseen. That usually takes time and repetition. We should not assume that what "worked" on the last prayer project will work on the next. There was a different strategy for different cities as Israel took the land.
- Lay aside preconceived ideas. Die to your own imagination. Ask for fresh guidance from the Holy Spirit for this prayer time. We need to cultivate absolute dependence on the Holy Spirit.
- Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise (Psalm 100:4). Let the high praises of God be in our mouths and a two-edged sword in our hands (Psalm 149:6)
Praying for the Peace of Jerusalem
The writer draws on her experience of writing prayer materials in Jerusalem to provide a unique aid to prayer for Israel and the Middle East. Each of these 40 short devotional studies helps us to understand God's heart for Israel and then pray biblically and intelligently into the current situation.
£4.00 (plus postage and packing)
To purchase this book, please click here.
Our Shop has a number of products on the subject of Prayer.
Click here to go there.