Praying for Our Nation in Relation to Israel
Many of you will have been praying recently, as we all brought the UK election and Brexit issues before the Lord. We needed to do this as instructed in 1 Timothy 2 v1-4
‘I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people
– for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
This is good, and pleases God our Saviour, who wants all people to be saved
and to come to a knowledge of the truth.’ (NIV)
We need to pray that this nation returns to the biblical foundations that it held to in the past. The strength of Christian belief was seen clearly in World War 2, when King George VI called for a National Day of Prayer at the time of the Dunkirk crisis. A leaflet called ‘Wartime Miracles’ is available from email@example.com
It says: ‘so widespread and so deep was faith in God that literally millions of people flocked into churches to pray.’ There is a photo of a queue, a quarter of a mile long as people were desperate to get into pray at a special service held in Westminster Abbey!
Like Field Marshall Montgomery, Winston Churchill is said to have testified to divine intervention – Churchill said “I sometimes have a feeling of interference … I have a feeling that some Guiding Hand has interfered.”
We need to recognise the great need for prayer again as a nation. I pray for a greater wave of intercession in the UK than ever before. How many times has God proved his faithfulness ... his great mercy ... his astonishing grace for Israel and indeed for us? We can be confident in God, to fulfil all his promises and, as Lance Lambert used to say, “We need to be God’s secretaries” and remind him of his promises though Scripture.
So please continue to pray for our nation to turn back to God; to stop the compromise from the foundations of biblical principles; for Theresa May and the Government to act justly and with integrity in our dealings with Israel; and as she has said before, to stand with the Jewish Community in the nations of the UK.
Let’s remember Scripture as we pray for mercy:
‘For the nation or kingdom that will not serve you [Israel] will perish;
it will be utterly ruined.’ (Isaiah 60 v 12)
- For our MPs and Councillors to become aware of a supernatural revelation of God and his heart for the nation of Israel.
- For Christian MPs, often seen at Lobby Day with the ZF/CFI who stand with the Jewish Community, and for the highlighting of Anti-Semitism in political parties and in society as a whole.
- For people of influence in our Universities and Further Education systems where prejudice and bias against Israel, even hate for Israel, has become almost epidemic.
- For the safety and divine protection of Jewish and Christian students throughout our University Campuses.
- For the Lord to reveal himself to leaders and influencers within these circles “to know the fear of the Lord” and turn away from bias and intolerance.