Watchman’s Prayer Letter
A Guide to Intercessory Prayer for the month of February 2018 ~ Jewish Year 5777/5778
Click here for PDF copy
`I will stand upon my watch and set myself on the rampart, and watch to see what he will say to me,
and what I will answer.` (Habakkuk 2:1)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
All the Earth Shall Come
“May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us, Selah, that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations. May the peoples praise you, O God; may all the peoples praise you. May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you rule the peoples justly and guide the nations of the earth. Selah. May the peoples praise you, O God; may all the peoples praise you. Then the land will yield its harvest, and God, our God, will bless us. God will bless us, and all the ends of the earth will fear him” (Psalm 67).
One wonders today, just how many people from the 195 countries in the world, actually realise that there is approaching a time and era when multitudes will make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem to worship the King of Kings (Zechariah 14:16). God’s holy word reveals to us that all flesh, all humans on the planet, will come to bow the knee before the Lord, the God of Israel (Psalm 65:2). That means that every living creature in the human race will finally realise that their voices will need to raise in blessing unto God (Psalm 66:4, 8).
I’m sure that many of you who use this Watchman’s Prayer Letter, like me, want to declare all that God has done for Israel, for each of us individually, and to bless his holy name throughout eternity (Psalm 66:1-2). When that great day of the Lord arrives, when all the earth will come up to Jerusalem, God’s way will be known upon the earth, not man’s. Men, women and children will be made whole, free from illness, injury and mental health problems. Complete peace of mind and spirit will exist throughout God’s Kingdom (Psalm 67:2).
Since the fall of man, sin has brought a deep darkness that now covers the earth as a blanket of iniquity spread across the nations. It is only the light of God and his Son Jesus, the Messiah, that brings spiritual light into the darkness over the earth. And we, like candles, have the power to light other candles throughout our lives. We must let our lights shine brighter and brighter now and in the days ahead. A Christian wrote recently: “... I feel the remnant is getting smaller every day as the time approaches for the Lord’s return. The world seems to be getting darker and more evil ...” Another Christian wrote: “my church has no excitement about prophetic fulfilment ...” And yet one more: “... I ... wonder why they (pastors) never talk about what is going on ... in Israel, or the intensifying birth pangs” (from newsletter by Jan Markell, 9/11/2017).
The United Nations is the largest body of member nations in the world. Not all those nations recognise the State of Israel – and most do not recognise Jerusalem as its eternal capital. Many megachurches today are more interested in prosperity ‘feel good’ messages. They are missing out on learning what is taking place on the earth today: a miracle called Israel. The entire nation is emerging as one of the most beautiful, resourceful, productive, technical, medical, scientific, defence-savvy, start-up nations among all nations.
The major point for prayer, that we need to lovingly pray through, is for the ongoing outpouring of God’s Spirit as prophesied in Joel 2:28. That the Spirit will be released in fuller measure, both upon Israel and the nations, so that there will be a great turning to the Holy One of Israel. It is something to long for and pray for with prevailing intercession. As the days roll by, and Bible prophecy continues to be fulfilled, keep looking up as Israel remains in the centre of the arena for all the world to see. Pray that our eyes will stay open to the truth of the Bible and that we will honour the nation who will be the host of nations as all the earth comes “up to Jerusalem.” May God exalt his Name through the fulfilment of his promises to Israel, and to the nations.
Let us Approach the Throne of Grace
- Thank God for the recent, well-received rainfall in Jerusalem, and across the land. Thousands in Israel and around the world prayed for this. But the water is still low in the beautiful Sea of Galilee. Pray for it to be raised to a magnificent level this year. “You care for the land and water it; you enrich it abundantly. The streams of God are filled with water to provide the people with grain, for so you have ordained it. You drench its furrows and level its ridges; you soften it with showers and bless its crops. You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance. The grasslands of the desert overflow; the hills are clothed with gladness” (Psalm 65:9-12).
- Cry out for hope in God for the year ahead. “You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance” (Psalm 65:11). May an abundance of true peace in life come to untold millions, and peace upon Israel be ushered in by the Prince of Peace.
- Beseech the Lord to act against those who commit drive-by shooting attacks. May all their wicked schemes to murder innocent victims be thwarted. On 9th January 2018, an Israeli was shot and killed in a drive-by attack at the entrance to Havat Gilad, the Gilad farm, just beyond the jurisdiction of the Israeli Shomron Regional Council. That farm was established in 2002 in memory of Gilad Zar, who was shot and killed in 2001. “But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted; you consider their grief and take it in hand ... Break the arm of the wicked man; call the evildoer to account for his wickedness that would not otherwise be found out.” (Psalm 10:14-15).
- Pray for the truth about Jesus to be known by all Arab nations. Palestinian leaders have tried again this year to appropriate Jesus as part of their cause against Israel by publishing a Christmas greeting that referred to Jesus as “a Palestinian messenger who would become a guiding light for millions around the world.” May all Palestinians read the genealogy of Jesus, the Jew, in the first chapter of the Gospel of Matthew, and realise who he truly is.
- Pray earnestly for confusion in the camps of Islamic fanatics such as ISIS, Hamas and Iran. Terror is fighting terror at the moment, as ISIS recently declared war on Hamas (which means ‘violence’ in Hebrew). Hamas has been criticised for not being extreme enough! Pray for Israeli security forces to be on high alert and extremely aware of threats upon the Jewish nation. As Israel prepares itself for a war on the northern front, we need the strong right arm of the Lord to be with all Israeli soldiers fighting to bring peace to their nation, and the Middle East. “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defence; he has become my salvation” (Isaiah 12:2).
- With thanksgiving in our hearts, praise God for the way his word and promises are coming to pass for Israel. He asks all nations, Gentiles in the earth wherever they are, to rejoice with his people because his word is being fulfilled. Take time to truly give thanks to God for his faithful word being fulfilled in our day. “Rejoice, O nations, with his people, for he will avenge the blood of his servants; he will take vengeance on his enemies and make atonement for his land and people” (Deuteronomy 32:43).
Let us all study to show ourselves approved in our private prayer and Bible study times. Dig into God’s word daily to find all of the marvellous promises God has made to Israel and to all who love her. God bless each of you in this New Year for the nations and give him all the praise which he deserves.
Until he comes,
Christian Friends of Israel – Jerusalem (UK edited version)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
CFI-UK News and Prayer items
Thank the Lord for a successful Church ministers’ tour last month. There were excellent conversations and feedback, but some held intransigent views, often due to previous lack of exposure to the realities in the land alongside poor formation in biblical theology. Pray that the experiences and discussions will penetrate hearts and minds, instilling a desire to seek a true picture and better biblical understanding.
Continue to pray for the upcoming joint CFI-ZF parliamentary Lobby Day, Wednesday 28th February 2018. Pray that we will have good material ready in good time to assist those lobbying, and that MPs will be contacted and available to address the Lobby in the afternoon.
This month the Board of Trustees will gather before the Lord, seeking his guidance as we consider the way forward for the year ahead. Pray that we will know his ongoing provision for the tasks he wants us to do, with the capability and time resource to serve well in them, as well as avoiding loss of time due to distractions.
Pray for success as we look to recruit a Finance Officer to work in the accounts team, enabling Lynda Hailes to move to part-time work. Pray that the Lord would cause the right ones, with the required experience, to be aware of the requirement and submit applications in good time; and that the Lord would give wisdom in the interviewing process to determine who would best fulfil this important role.
Continue to pray for favourable responses to our applications to have a resource stand at Christian festivals, and for the right staff / volunteers to attend them.
Thank the Lord for the prospect of speaking at various venues about Israel and the work of CFI, and pray that there will be sufficient time and Holy Spirit inspiration in both preparation and delivery.
Pray as we come to grips with various regulatory requirements – most recently the General Data Protection Regulations. That we will know the best way to implement them, commensurate with the work and ministry of CFI UK.
May God grant us grace and ‘seasoning with salt’ as we speak and serve, that we may know how to respond to all those the Lord brings our way, in accordance with the wisdom and grace that he lavished on us, with all wisdom and understanding.
The CFI-UK Team